Monday, February 11, 2013

Seven Deadly Sins (Sins in Musicals) by Veronica Perez

 
For my “Seven Deadly Sins” project, I am going to be using the theme of “Sins in Musicals.” The musicals I am going to be using are going to be ones that have been on Broadway, as opposed to “musicals” such as Disney makes, unless they’ve been adapted to the stage. So far I have a few I am going to be working with, although a few of them may be changed as I go on in the project, as well as on how well I rewatch them.

I am going to be using quotes (be it song quotes or just spoken quotes) to create specific pictures for each musical and sin.

The Phantom of the Opera- The sin I’ve associated with The Phantom of the Opera is ENVY because the Phantom is envious of everyone because they can live in everyday life/normal society because of his deformity. He isn’t accepted in society because he’s a little different from everyone else. His envy for the world is what causes him to commit all the heinous acts he commits throughout the musical/opera.

West Side Story- The sin I’ve associated with West Side Story is PRIDE because everything that happens in that musical is caused because of the high amounts of pride the Sharks and the Jets feel for their own gangs.

Chicago- The sin I’ve associated with Chicago is GREED because all the murderesses in jail (as well as the lawyers) are so hungry for power/fame and money. In one scene Hunyak, the Hungarian murderess, is hanged, even though she’s the only one who is innocent, yet no one helps her or even spares her a glance because they are all too busy wanting more power and money.

Rent- The sin I’ve associated with Rent is GLUTTONY because there is a LOT of drug use, and even some overdosing, as well as a lot of sexual scenes, which leads to a lot of bad things happen.

Les Misérables- The sin I’ve associated with Les Mis is WRATH because the whole musical is about the French Revolution and war and the people wanting their freedom. A lot of people die in this musical, too, due to this war.

I’m still not sure which musicals to do for the sins of LUST and SLOTH. So I’m still working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment