Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Parenti -Typographic Anatomy - Univers and Century

Since my first GD class with Chris Kalis, I have fallen in love with Univers.  I even went so far as to emulate and imitate some of Frutiger's Swiss design methods for past projects.  Univers was a trend-setter in the sense that it was one of the first major fonts to use a higher x-height.  This also brings about the fact that the uppercase letters are more similar in size and weight to the lowercase letters.  What page 48 of the book displays is Univers' ability to interchange styles and weights of the font fluently because of the ascender and descender length remaining constant (as well as the x-height and capital height).  Univers reminds me of most modern fonts (or maybe because Swiss-influenced style is becoming popular on every banner or logo I've seen since taking Kalis' class).  It feels very futuristic while still remaining subtle. I feel like it gives off the emotion of a serif font without using any.  It is very professional (to a point where I used it on my resumé and cover letters). Because of its Swiss decent, Univers can be considered a realist font and has been used on logos for ESPN and more recently eBay's new logo. Because of its similarity to Helvetica, this is a common font that is used for a wide range of stuff. Univers is unique in that the design lacks superfluous features of any type, creating a design that is versatile and distinctive without being obstrusive.

Century is a font that I've been using since I could type.  Century uses straight serifs, curls ending with a ball terminal on letters c, f, g, and j.  Although some serif-based fonts use a certain stress on their Os, Century uses a vertical stress.  The ascenders are a bit longer than its descenders, and the x-height is a bit higher than most.  If I was a betting man, I would guess the font uses high contrast, as well.  Century, to me, is a font most associated with books and professional writing.  In fact, the Supreme Court uses Century on their briefs.  For some reason, Century reminds me of the 18th or 19th century; basically when the printing press was still being used.  It gives off a snobby emotion. It has also been used by American typographers for the last 100 years or so. It is constantly used in periodicals, literature, and textbooks due to its strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment