Monday, January 21, 2013

Typographic Anatomy - Fernando Peña


















The fonts that I've chosen to for this assignment are Segoe UI and Sanford. Segoe UI is a font designed by Steve Matteson and used in Microsoft products for user interface text, as well as online material on Microsoft owned/published websites. With its rounder letters its purpose is to improve consistency in how users see all text across languages. When I look at this text and see it in the contexts in which it's implemented, it begins to remind me of my fascination with anything that has the adjective "Modern" attached to it. For me when I see this text my imagination flourishes with images of modern architecture, minimalist website design, IKEA furnished rooms, etc. It brings to mind the beauty of the simplistic nature in all of these domains.

The Sanford (serif) font offers me the visions of a modern society like Segoe UI does, but with an elegance that isn't overbearing. This elegance is noticeable yet allows for the simplistic beauty of what is modern to continue to shine through in its own space. My imagination plays with the modern images it conjures and places each domain into either a more naturesque setting or a space in which they have their own place and their elegance either overcomes what surrounds it or adds to it. My general outlook on anything modern is that it's easily adaptable to many persons and this is how these fonts seem to me. That any domain they are utilized in they can find a way to adapt to it or have that domain adapt to the font. These two fonts, for me, speak beauty, simplicity, adaptability, and versatility. These are all aspects that not only are present within these fonts but the way I'm perceiving some of the aspects that are being molded into society.

No comments:

Post a Comment