Monday, January 21, 2013

Ch 2//Kyle S

I really like expanding my vocabulary so learning all the names of typography anatomy is kind of fun in a sick way for me. Anatomy (usually human) is also a favorite interest, so whenever it's learning vocabulary for the PARTS of something, I'm kind of thrilled. I like having succinct terms to say precisely what I mean, so it's nice that there are already words set up for us to use.
I hadn't previously thought of how the way text looks being the result of the materials used to create it until the beginning of chapter two showed us the material and procedural causes of why text appears the way it does. Case in point: letterforms beginning to include more curves as writing implements became softer.
I thought the textual interpretation of The Bells at the end of the chapter was kind of lame, mostly because I don't see how 90% of the italics relate to the words. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment