Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cait Stone - Typographic Anatomy Response


Century Gothic and Rockwell

I chose these fonts mainly based on personal aesthetic preferences. Both of these fonts are immensely similar to one another. They are both based on nearly the exact same shapes with only a change in weight and serif or sans serif.  They can also demonstrate different emotions. With the round shapes one gets the feeling of happiness and cheer in the consistency and frivolity of the fonts. Rockwell on the other hand appears more structured due to the thickness of the strokes and the serifs. A serif, in my opinion, demonstrates a much older feel that makes Rockwell seem more serious than Century Gothic.


When I think of these two different typefaces I can compare them with many different things. When I look at Rockwell I tend to think of a rock song that has classic vibes rather then new age spirit. Rockwell seems so structured and familiar to me with a classic feel. Though neither typefaces would really be appropriate for a band poster for a classic rock band. I personally love Century Gothic and use it for many personal projects because I love symmetrical round repetitive shapes, which both fonts allow but Century Gothic allows for this feeling in a more modern way. This is a reason why Century Gothic reminds me of a more modern band that stil has old roots. Something like a new age folk band such as Mumfords and Sons of Of Monsters and Men (which actually use a very similar font for their debut album. The round even shapes allow for this feeling of happiness of energy but simplicity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment