Saturday, January 26, 2013

Typography Anatomy- Veronica Perez


The first typeface I chose was “Playbill” (on the left). A playbill is literally a program for theatrical performances, so naturally this font made me think of musicals and the different musicals I've been in and to. The "Playbill" typeface is dramatic without having to be over-the-top. When people think of dramas, they typically think of frilly, fancy, dramatic things. But what most people don’t realize is that the simple approach is often the most effective approach. Playbills tend to have a very simplistic look to them. For example, I went to see The Lion King on Broadway in Chicago a few years ago, and their playbill was literally a simple picture of Simba with the words “The Lion King” on the bottom. The simple approach was effective because even though I haven’t looked at that specific playbill in a long time, I can still remember it. So the typeface “Playbill” captures that simplistic approach they tend to use for plays, musicals, dramas, etc.

The second typeface I chose is “Futura” (on the right). This simple sans serif typeface reminded me strongly of the text they use for the show “Futurama,” which I am a HUGE fan of! Because even though the typeface used for “Futurama” is a little more science-y than the one I used, it’s still very simple and I feel like the typeface used for “Futurama” is very simple. Plus, for some reason, it just gives off that type of vibe, although it could have to do with that face that “Futura” and “Futurama” sounds really similar so I already kind of had a bias to begin with. It also seems very calming and pleasing to the eye because my brain doesn’t have to think too much about it, kind of like how I feel when I watch “Futurama” (at least, sometimes. Other times I’m confused but that’s a completely different story.)

No comments:

Post a Comment