Sunday, January 20, 2013

Chapter 2 Reflection- Murphy


Chapter 2 Reflection
The anatomy of type is an important skill to learn in order to understand and utilize typography. The definitions in the beginning of the chapter explain the different parts of the letterforms, which was also highlighted in class lecture. A tail is a diagonal stroke or loop at the bottom of a letter form and an eye is the enclosed part of the lower case “e” are some of the terms useful in identifying specific parts of the letter. The alphabet helps to portray a visual picture of a spoken word. When you understand the different components of type you understand what makes some letters similar and what makes them different. When we understand the different components of letters, this can aide us in developing a more harmonious and satisfying visual experience. Proportions, stroke, and weight add to the overall appearance of the typeface. I am now more observant when I see type on signs in my everyday life. Walking through town I now see myself critiquing signs that are out of proportion that results in lack of appeal. 

The chapter concludes on a little history of the typeface Univers. I found this very interesting as I have worked with this particular font in a previous class. I always wondered what the numbers next to the different Univers options signified. Now I understand that they are used to designate the stroke weight. This is important to understand when completing work using Univers. The creator, Adrian Frutiger, used the anatomy of type by using a larger x-height. Lower case and capital letters are now closer in size and weight. These changes helped him developed a beautiful typeface that is popular today. 




No comments:

Post a Comment