Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cotton-Typography Anatomy


             It was hard to settle on two typefaces, one serif and one san serif, out of all the options that we were given to choose from. However, I finally came across two that really stood out to me. For serif I found Willow Std light, and for san serif I found Parisian Std medium. Both of these typefaces were special and their own regard and related to me in different ways.
            Willow Std light really stood out to me as a serif font the second I saw it. Very narrow and tall, each matching the others height when capitalized. The same goes for it when it is not capitalized. The type almost appears too scrunched up and tight to be legible. I’m a movie enthusiast and Willow Std light really speaks to me as a western font. It seems like it should appear above a swinging door reading “Saloon.” Or perhaps on a playbill or wanted poster blowing around with tumble weeds in a town. I’m waiting for Clint Eastwood to walk in and shoot some one dead just for looking at him wrong. This font might even appear on the bottle of whisky that he is drinking out of.
            On the other end of the spectrum is Parisian Std Medium. A very light and whimsical looking san serif font that is very broad with extreme contrast. This font appears very art deco to me, almost like it should appear somewhere in The Great Gatsby movie that is coming out soon. It feels very 1920s and foreign. It says French film to me. One that is all black and white and the only way you keep up on what’s going on is by reading the subtitles that appear at the bottom of the screen. Most likely it’s a French film about romance.
            All in all, it was really cool to see how much can be said just by the font that we choose. I never realized that it played such a huge role in the way we view things, and the large amount of connections we can make through them with no context.

No comments:

Post a Comment