Sunday, January 20, 2013

Type Anatomy - Carey


Gram
I chose to work with the Gram typeface for this project for  a few reasons. Generally I tend to use light typefaces in my work because I think that it is a very clean and lean looking style. Using light typefaces generally leave me feeling clean and light after reading them and are easy on the eyes. The reason I chose Gram specifically is because it appears to have a little bit of character in it, which I am drawn to in a typeface. While a light and clean typeface can lean towards a Helvetica/Univers/Futura, Gram provides a bit of whimsy while remaining clean and relevant.


Baskerville
As stated before, I prefer typefaces with a bit of character and whimsy. Baskerville has both of those things in a serif font. This Baskerville font is a transitional serif typeface that blends old style with more modern styles of the time. While it was designed in the mid 18th century, it has remained popular through the years. An interesting fact that really draws me to Baskerville is that a study shows that there is an increased likelihood of people agreeing with a statement typed in Baskerville by 1.5% as compared to five other fonts. I appreciate that because I think that typefaces have an enormous effect on people and their perception of the world around them.


No comments:

Post a Comment