Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cassata- Ch 4 & 5 Reflection




In chapter four, I found it interesting how the use of spacing is essential to relaying the message of type. Example number 10 in the chapter showed first-hand how important spacing is, and it was easy to see how the message can be misread if not done correctly. I never really imagined how influential something as small as the spacing between letters could be. The example used about the top of the stroke of the letter A could easily be turned into a d if not drawn correctly. It made me think that essentially, many letters start out the same they just become different based on the thickness of where the stokes lay.  With the examples on page 82, the type was much easier to read when color was not used. I think this makes it even more difficult for advertisers as they need to grasp the audience’s attention with the words as well as the colors, but need to be extra careful doing so.

Learning about the grid system in chapter five will be essential to the success of any typography I do in the future. After reading the chapter I think I gained more of a respect for how pages are layed out, as there are many different steps involved just to make a balanced and legible page.  I found it interesting that even upon first glance when a page looks creative and uneven, chances are a grid system was still used in order to create some kind of balance. Completing the tracing exercise we did in class gave me experience in this area. Though this system of symmetry works well in some areas, I prefer the more creative improvisational structures which were shown on page 110. When looking at other prints now I can more easily see how the page was set up with the help of these guides.

No comments:

Post a Comment