Thursday, January 17, 2013

Typography Anatomy: Alyssa Cassata


For my Serif Font, I chose to use Bodoni, or Bodoni Svty Two SC ITC. I like this font because of how traditional it looks. It reminds me of classic writing which I find to be traditional and timeless. Another reason I chose this font is because of its similarity to the Fashion Label Burberry's look. The weight of the lines seem to have a strong presence and make whatever words used appear powerful, but at the same time gentle. This font can appear feminine or masculine, which I think is great to be used for a wide audience in fashion. This reminded me of Burberry and how they design their clothing, in the way that it they are known for designing classic pieces with a strong brand presence. Since taking this class I have gained a new interest in fashion labels and the different types of typography they use, which is something that I did not previously pick up on as much.

For my Sans Serif Font, I looked to fashion again for inspiration. I did some research and looked into J.Crew and the types of font they use in their advertising, and found that ITC Avant Garde Light makes many appearances. To me this sans serif font is very clean, and easy to read. When used in writing it gets the point across without taking away from the rest of the pictures on the page, which I felt to be a good use of advertising especially when it comes to selling clothes in catalogues. I think it portrays modern and elegance with how thin the strokes are. This type of font is emulated in J.Crew clothing in the way that they are a modern brand with what I would consider to be a creative audience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment