Thursday, January 17, 2013

Typography Anatomy

For my serif font I chose Century. I have always loved this font and have used it many times in designs because of its play on a modern typeface while still adding very elegent and curvature serifs to the edges of the font. It has always drawn me in as a very artistic and yet sophisticated font and its in the counters between those two stylings that I have found it interesting. The weight of the lines is plays between hair lines and strong lines throughout all the letters and it leaves a lot of open space in the forms themselves. It is in those open spaces that the serifs can interact with the form creating very subtle but very dramatic impacts on the letters that draws the eye into the font. Also as for legibility is is one of the easier to read fonts.

For my san serif font I chose Century Gothic. This font interested me due to the nature of the shape of the font. The lines of the font are all consistent width as apposed to its cousin Century font. Also it changes from a smooth flowed font into a very geometric shaped font which drew me into its design. The font takes on a more graphic arts look creating rigid dimension that could be used in many modern designs and advertisements. I feel it has a more european look to it which adds to the strength in the letters and forms.


No comments:

Post a Comment